Full Peal – St. Mary’s Church, Saffron Walden
Starting at 10 am, a full peal on all 12 bells of ‘Cambridge Surprise Maximus’ will be attempted. For those not familiar with bell ringing, a peal is the ringers’ equivalent of a marathon requiring great concentration and stamina and, at St Mary’s, takes about 3 hours and 30 minutes to ring due to the weight and number of bells.
Platinum Jubilee ‘Community Together’ Day – The Common, Saffron Walden
11.00 – 16.00
This will be a cross generational community fun day on The Common, Saffron Walden. The emphasis will be on families and young people having fun and will also offer community groups, including charities e.g. Mencap and Accuro, Fire Service, and children’s sports clubs a chance to host a stall; to both inform and promote interest in their organisation – many of whom are suited and aimed towards involving and benefitting young people. Each stall will also have the option to provide a fun activity or give away. The following fun activities will also be available
- Beach on The Common, with deck chairs
- Bouncy Castles (6, for various age groups)
- Side stalls (Tin can alley, Hoopla, Hook a duck and Coconut Shy)
- Lazer Tag
- Gaming Van (allows 12 at a time)
- Bungee Trampoline
- Arts & Crafts drop in workshop (Jubilee themed)
- Face Painting (Jubilee themed)
- Food and drink Stalls
The event will act as a shop window for groups, to educate, promote interest and generate future funds for their organisations / charities. The additional free activities are aimed at young people (10 – 19 years old), having fun post pandemic – with some also suited to families with younger children and for young people up to the age of 25 with disabilities / additional needs.
This free event will be open to all of the community to attend.
Running alongside and throughout the weekend are;
- A manmade beach with deck chairs on The Common
- Circus performances from Santos Circus; two performances each day – 2pm and 5pm. Tickets are to be purchased directly from Santos Circus.
- Jubilee Arts & Crafts drop-in workshop on Thursday 2nd and Friday 3rd
- Photographic and archive display on Thurs 2nd and Friday 3rd – images and memorabilia from the Queen’s Coronation and through each of the Jubilee celebrations.
Please do feedback your thoughts about the Jubilee celebrations, we would be please to hear all comments via https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/62BZ96V