George Stacey Gibson, known as ‘Mr Saffron Walden,’ was a Quaker banker and was born in Saffron Walden in 1818. He became Mayor and was responsible for building the railway line from Saffron Walden to Audley End as well as purchasing the drinking fountain for the Market Square, and being integral in the building of the Corn Exchange (now the Library), Barclays Bank and the mock Tudor extension to the Town Hall. He also provided the land for the building of what was the Friends’ School in Mount Pleasant Road when it moved to Saffron Walden from Croydon in 1879. A Plaque to George Stacey Gibson can be seen on the wall of his old house, Hill House, on Saffron Walden High Street. Our Saffron Walden Blue Plaque Leaflet can be seen here. A biography has also been written and is available on our e-shop.
Saffron Walden Museum was built in 1835 with funding from Jabez Gibson (George Stacey Gibson’s uncle). The Museum houses many items from Quaker benefactors including the Tuke Collection of ceramics.
The old Saffron Walden Hospital (now the home to Uttlesford District Council) was paid for by a bequest of £5000 from Wyatt George Gibson (George Stacey Gibson’s father) and by public subscription.
Francis Gibson, brother of Wyatt, laid out Bridge End Garden in 1840, originally as a private garden. The Garden is still owned by the Fry family and is now leased to Saffron Walden Town Council who maintain and manage it.