A Market has been held in Saffron Walden since 1141. Market days are Tuesdays and Saturdays. You can enjoy browsing and buying goods from a wide range of stalls. The Tuesday market is more traditional, with the Saturday market more cosmopolitan.
The sheer range of goods on offer is the market’s greatest strength, with stalls selling fruit and vegetables, olives, bread, whole foods, fish, flowers, antiques and collectables, clothing, jewellery, and much much more.
Saffron Walden is proud to have been featured in ‘The Market Times’ where it was described as “a popular and sought-after town to live, where the market gives it character and identity.” In 2018 the market won the title of “Best Small Outdoor Market” in the Great British Market Awards.
In 2021, Saffron Walden Town Council’s market team won the National Association of British Market Authorities (NABMA), ‘Market Team of the Year Award (Small Markets)’. The award recognises the work done by the entire Town Council team from booking stalls to setting up, from sharing social media all the way through to clearing up.
“We came to Saffron Walden on market day and we were pleasantly surprised to see how big the market was and how varied the choices were…..in fact it’s one of the best markets I’ve been to!” – Trip Advisor UK.
Current stall holders are:
- Borough Olives – www.borougholives.co.uk
- Hats, gloves, socks and scarves
- Slipper and Shoes Stall
- Quite Nice Clothes – Ladies fashion specialising in Cashmere
- Vacuum Cleaner spares and reconditioned
- Crystal Waters traditional fishmongers and smokery – www.onlinefish.co.uk
- Mystic moon – crystals and incense
- Brown bread – www.brownbreadonline.co.uk
- Saffron Wholefoods – www.saffronwholefoods.wordpress.com
- Tambas Prints & Jewellery
- Giggly Pig – www.gigglypig.co.uk
- Oil & Vinegar, Stansted
- Ladies Italian Clothing – also on Etsy
- Designer men’s wear
- JLS watches and batteries
- Hunts Fabrics
- Sutton View Nursery – outdoor plants
- Granary Store pet supplies – www.marthaandmoose.co.uk / www.thegranarystore.co.uk
- Master Coffee – tea and coffee to take away
- Uppingham & Saffron Walden Flowers – fresh cut flowers
- Whitehouse Coffee – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ladies fashions
- Saffron Basket Company – www.saffronbasketcompany.com
- Traditional Pottery – www.traditionalpottery.co.uk
- Tub-refillable refill station and eco products – www.tub-refillables.co.uk
- Country Collectables
- Saffron Grange wines – www.saffrongrange.com
- Bardfield Vineyards – www.greatlodge.co.uk
- Secret Wines – email@example.com
- Charles and Mike – www.charlesandmike.com
- Totally Cultured – fermented sauerkraut; kefirs at the Saturday market can also be found on totallycultured.co.uk
- “Bohemian Cat Leather Design” – Leather bags, belts & wallets at the Tuesday market also found on : Etsy Bohemiancatdesigns or Instagram : bohemian_cat_leather
Jamie Oliver, who is a big supporter of local markets and market shopping, lives locally and patronises a number of the food stalls on this outstanding market.