A Market has been held in Saffron Walden since 1141. Market days are Tuesdays and Saturdays. You can enjoy browsing and buying goods from a wide range of stalls. The Tuesday market is more traditional, with the Saturday market more cosmopolitan.
The sheer range of goods on offer is the market’s greatest strength, with stalls selling fruit and vegetables, olives, bread, whole foods, fish, flowers, antiques and collectables, clothing, jewellery, and much much more.
Saffron Walden is proud to have been featured in ‘The Market Times’ where it was described as “a popular and sought-after town to live, where the market gives it character and identity.” In 2018 the market won the title of “Best Small Outdoor Market” in the Great British Market Awards.
In 2021, Saffron Walden Town Council’s market team won the National Association of British Market Authorities (NABMA), ‘Market Team of the Year Award (Small Markets)’. The award recognises the work done by the entire Town Council team from booking stalls to setting up, from sharing social media all the way through to clearing up.
“We came to Saffron Walden on market day and we were pleasantly surprised to see how big the market was and how varied the choices were…..in fact it’s one of the best markets I’ve been to!” – Trip Advisor UK.
Current stall holders are:
- Borough Olives: www.borougholives.co.uk
- Cheese: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hats, gloves, socks and scarves: no contact details given
- Slipper and Shoes Stall: Email email@example.com
- Quite Nice Clothes – Ladies fashion specialising in Cashmere: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vacuum Cleaner spares and reconditioned: telephone 07774 783950
- Crystal Waters traditional fishmongers and smokery – www.onlinefish.co.uk
- Mystic moon – crystals and incense: email email@example.com or telephone 07522 788188
- Brown bread – www.brownbreadonline.co.uk
- Saffron Wholefoods – www.saffronwholefoods.wordpress.com
- Tambas Prints & Jewellery: email firstname.lastname@example.org https://tambasprints.sumup.link/
- Giggly Pig – www.gigglypig.co.uk
- Ladies Italian Clothing – also on Etsy: email: email@example.com
- Designer men’s wear: 07771 807807
- JLS watches and batteries: email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07475 006637
- Hunts Fabrics: telephone 07779 009573
- Sutton View Nursery – outdoor plants: email email@example.com or telephone 07966 297482
- Granary Store pet supplies: www.thegranarystore.co.uk
- Master Coffee – tea and coffee to take away: email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07561 104245
- Uppingham & Saffron Walden Flowers – fresh cut flowers: telephone 07662 016634 or email email@example.com
- Whitehouse Coffee: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ladies fashions: telephone 07836272666 Email- email@example.com and Facebook Bryson’s boutique
- Traditional Pottery – www.traditionalpottery.co.uk
- Country Collectables: email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07931 534599
- Saffron Grange wines: www.saffrongrange.com
- Secret Wines: email email@example.com
- Totally Cultured – fermented sauerkraut; kefirs at the Saturday market can also be found on www.totallycultured.co.uk
- Nour NC Leather – bags, belts and repairs: telephone 07375 894628
- Ada Baby – baby clothes: email firstname.lastname@example.org www.adababy.co.uk
Jamie Oliver, who is a big supporter of local markets and market shopping, lives locally and patronises a number of the food stalls on this outstanding market.