The Hedge Maze is situated in the delightful Victorian garden at Bridge End commenced in the late 18th Century and was completed in the mid–19th Century. The Garden was started by Atkinson Francis Gibson of Saffron Walden and continued by his son Francis.
By 1949 the maze had fallen into neglect and by 1983, it was little more than an overgrown spinney. In 1984, a programme of research and restoration was put in hand by Uttlesford District Council.
The site was cleared in February 1984 and then surveyed. The original maze design was marked out later that year. The paths were reconstructed, together with the banks which were subsequently planted in the December with over 1000 yews. At midday on 13th July 1991, the maze was officially reopened by Mr. Anthony Fry, great-great grandson of Francis Gibson for the enjoyment and delight of future generations.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.