Newport has a lively community, and has roots going back over 250,000 years. Newport was first mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086 – the name means New Town, with ‘port’ being the Saxon name for Market. The village grew from the flourishing market around 1300 AD, and was the largest horse market in East Anglia. There is a mainline railway station, buses and link to main road routes in the area.
For more information on travel, history, events and village life please visit www.newportvillage.co.uk