Work to create the delightful Victorian garden at Bridge End commenced in the late 18th Century and was completed in the mid–19th Century. The Garden was started by Atkinson Francis Gibson of Saffron Walden and continued by his son Francis.
By 1949 the maze had fallen into neglect and by 1983, it was little more than an overgrown spinney. In 1984, a programme of research and restoration was put in hand by Uttlesford District Council.
The site was cleared in February 1984 and then surveyed. The original maze design was marked out later that year. The paths were reconstructed, together with the banks which were subsequently planted in the December with over 1000 yews. At midday on 13th July 1991, the maze was officially reopened by Mr. Anthony Fry, great-great grandson of Francis Gibson for the enjoyment and delight of future generations.
Turf Maze (Labyrinth)
The turf maze (Labyrinth) on the Common is of great antiquity and importance. It is the largest example of its type in the world and is one of the eight surviving turf mazes in England. Its design is basically circular with 17 circuits. Four bastions at equal distances around the circumference give the maze a total diameter of 132 feet. It is enclosed by a bank and ditch, the overall dimensions of which are 150 x 110 feet. The pathway follows grooves cut in the turf and approaches a mile in length.
Restorations of this maze are recorded for 1826, 1841, 1859, 1887 and 1911, when the pathway was laid with bricks on edge. The most recent recutting was completed in 1979. On this occasion the bricks were relaid flat.
Jubilee Garden Maze
Centrally located in Jubilee Garden bandstand, the maze is made out of contrasting paving blocks laid over the existing concrete slab, which will permit its continued use for music performances and art exhibitions. Using the 100x 200mm module of a standard sand-bedded block, the local designer, John Ready, was able to devise a labyrinth of nine turns within the overall width of 6.1metres, which winds towards and around the centre, before moving outwards again to finish adjacent to the starting point. The overall length of the path is over 100 yards and its various turns reveal attractive views over the garden, with the soaring spire of St Mary’s Church beyond. The central octagon of the maze is decorated with a sleeping hare of semi-abstract design.